The energy sector is strategic for all countries. It represents an essential element of the productive economy. Its need for large scale investment propels a demand in a multiplicity of other sectors. Currently, the energy sector is undergoing significant changes due to regulatory reasons and the growing level of competition that is often caused by the opening up of certain marketplaces. Furthermore, technological innovation, the development of renewable energy sources and the progressive advent of new modes of transportation are transforming this sector; bringing with them tremendous new business opportunities:
- Concentration (mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures) and greater competition between organizations, new local and international players.
- Market diversification: global energy companies.
- New energy sources and distributed generation using new intelligent networks (smart grids).
- Client oriented focus that takes advantage of client segment and values customer loyalty.
- A more sophisticated comparison shopping clientele. A demand for greater levels of personalized and added value services.
- Energy efficiency leading to the optimization of both energy consumption and prices.
- Local legislative changes.